Tasting the Mediterranean
June 11, 2019
What does it take to make a meal in your room? Some students keep it basic: a microwave and a cup of ramen. But students in NYU’s Nutrition and Food Studies program throw fresh ingredients, culinary chops, and a global perspective into the mix to whip up an easy, tasty dish on the spot. Watch as 2017 grad Sara Barsky prepares a dish of fresh hummus, pita, and Israeli salad. See the full recipes below.
- 2 cups canned garbanzo beans, drained, reserving 1/2 cup liquid
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more as needed
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 pinch paprika
- 1 teaspoon fresh parsley, minced
- In a blender, combine garbanzo beans, tahini, and reserved liquid from beans. Blend for a few seconds.
- Add olive oil and blend again until ingredients are well mixed.
- Add the lemon juice and garlic. Blend once more until mixture is thick and creamy.
- Sprinkle with paprika and garnish with parsley.
Grilled Pita Bread
- 1 cup water, warm (110 degrees Fahrenheit)
- 1 tablespoon instant yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, combine water, yeast, sugar, and salt.
- Whisk thoroughly, then let bubble and thicken for about 20 minutes in the bowl.
- Mix in flour with a wooden spoon, then knead ingredients together. Cover dough with a clean towel for about 20 minutes.
- On an even surface, dust dough with flour. Then roll the dough over the flour, shaping it into a ball.
- Cut the dough into several equal pieces, then flatten each piece into a disc.
- Place the discs on parchment paper and brush with oil.
- Heat the pieces in a pan on medium-high heat, then panfry for 3-4 minutes on each side.
- 2 vine tomatoes
- 1 large cucumber
- 1 sprig cilantro
- 1 sprig mint
- 1 or more cloves garlic (to your taste)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Chop tomatoes, cucumber, cilantro, and mint; mince garlic.
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl, then dress with oil, vinegar, and lemon juice.
- Toss the salad thoroughly.